[sane-devel] HP Scanjet 5300C

Oliver Neukum Oliver.Neukum@lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 11:57:11 +0200

Am Freitag, 21. September 2001 13:48 schrieben Sie:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 10:59:12PM -0500, Bob Bomar wrote:
> > I have a FBSD 4.3 box with a HP 5300C USB scanner, I am using xsane .75
> > with GIMP 1.2.1.  I was looking at the documentation and saw that the
> > 5300C is supported and not supported.
>
> It's not supported by the HP backend. I don't know if it works with
> the Avision backend but at least it is not mentioned on the list of

Sort of. A picture is produced, but it is so full of artefacts that it's
unusable.

> supported scanners on mostang.com. And the avision website states that
> USB scanners are not supported.

The HP 53xx series contains an internal USB<->SCSI converter using a protocol
similar but not compatible to USB mass storage devices. You need a special
kernel level driver available for Linux, but no BSD Unix.

> If there is really no backend (check the mailing list archives), try
> to write a backend on your own :-) Sorry, but that's the way to get
> support for unsupported scanners.

You could fiddle with the avision backend if you have Linux, else you first
need to port the kernel driver to BSD. There's a patch on the WWW to make the
avision backend recognise the scanner.

	HTH
		Oliver Neukum