[sane-devel] Problems with Microtek Scanmaker-III, Solaris 8, sgen driver, xsane

Craig Dewick cdewick@sunshack.org
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 12:00:12 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

Well I have compiled and installed xsane-frontends and xsane-backends,
along with xsane-0.84. I did have a small problem with sane-backends and
specifying linker paths (only occured when linking against the JPEG shared
library), but otherwise it went smoothly.

I searched the sane list archives to see some messages about configuring
sane to work properly with scanners under solaris using the 'sgen' driver,
however I still cannot get xsane to talk to the scanner (a Microtek
Scanmaker-III) correctly.

The scanner is set to SCSI ID # 6 and connected to the SCSI port of a
SunSwift PCI card. The 'sgen' device driver has no problems finding it at
at boot time and setting up a link for it in /dev/scsi/scanner.

Contrary to the document posted to the mailing list, the device handle
that the driver has created is 'c6t6d0', *not* 'c6t6d6'. I don't know if
that's a problem - my system has the latest Solaris 8 maintenance update
installed which included a patch to the 'sgen' driver package.

In any case, when I start xsane by entering:

xsane microtek:/dev/scsi/scanner/c6t6d0

the application starts, displays the GPL acceptance window, then gives an
error box saying 'Failed to open device microtek:/dev/scsi/scanner/c6t6d0
Invalid argument'. What might be causing this?

I've su'd to root and run 'sane-find-scanner /dev/scsi/scanner/c6t6d0'
which works fine:

116 root@lios #----> sane-find-scanner /dev/scsi/scanner/c6t6d0
# Note that sane-find-scanner will find any scanner that is connected
# to a SCSI bus and some scanners that are connected to the Universal
# Serial Bus (USB) depending on your OS. It will even find scanners
# that are not supported at all by SANE. It won't find a scanner that
# is connected to a parallel or proprietary port.

sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner "MICROTEK ScanMakerIII 2.70" at
device /dev/scsi/scanner/c6t6d0
sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (UNKNOWN vendor and product) at
device /dev/scsi/scanner/c6t6d0

# `UNKNOWN vendor and product' means that there seems to be a scanner
# at this device file but the vendor and product ids couldn't be
# identified. Currently identification only works with Linux versions
# >= 2.4.8.

But I don't know how it figures the scanner has anything to do with USB as
my Ultra-30 has no USB hardware. 8-)

Anyway, that's beside the point. 'sane-find-scanner' detects the presence
of the scanner and correctly reports what it is, so what could be causing
'xsane' to be unable to access it?

Regards,

Craig.

--