[sane-devel] PLUGINRC madness

Johan Bengtsson elijah@dd.chalmers.se
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 09:39:15 +0200 (MEST)

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Oliver Rauch wrote:

> Johan Bengtsson wrote:
> > We're running Gimp 1.0.4 & xsane 0.79 and we have two workstations with
> > scanners, one with an Umax scanner and the other one with an Epson
> > scanner. The problem is that if one first uses the Epson scanner, gimp
> > will create a pluginrc file which points to the Epson driver and
> > device. If one later wants to use the Umax scanner one will get an error
> > message from xsane saying it can't find the Epson scanner....:-(
> > I've fixed this with a wrapper script for the Gimp that edits the pluginrc
> > file, but come on, this is stupid! Is it the same problem with newer
> > versions of gimp?
>
> I don`t think that this is changed in newer gimp versions.
> The pluginrc is created when you touch a file in the plug-ins directory.
>
> What you can do is e.g:
>
> - touch .gimp/plug-ins/xsane  (or wherever you put the link)
> - create the pluginrc with the umax scanner (start gimp with umax scanner available)
> - copy the part with xsane umax scanner to another file
> - touch .gimp/plug-ins/xsane  (or wherever you put the link)
> - start gimp and exit it
> - paste the xsane umax part into the plugins file
>
> now you should have an epson and a umax entry
>
> The only problem is that you have to repeat this each time
> when you update xsane or any other gimp plugin.

Well, I'm not the only one using these scanners, they're used by
(potentially) hundreds of users, and they can't be expected to go through
this process to make it work. If a scanner device can't be found the
program should look for another device and update pluginrc accordingly.

Best regards,
Johan Bengtsson

--
http://www.dd.chalmers.se/~elijah/