[sane-devel] Color profiles with SANE?

abel deuring a.deuring@satzbau-gmbh.de
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 23:02:40 +0200

Rene Bartsch wrote:
[...]

> I want to create some ICC-like profile with an IT8-target. But I want to
> put it in somewhere centralized in the backend or server. There are
> Linux and Windoze clients and some are only setup for a few hours, so I
> don't want to do much setup on the clients ...

I'm afraid that you will not have much luck with the current Sane
version. But I think that ICC profiles should be supported in Sane 2.
(With littlecms (http://www.littlecms.com) we have a good LGPL-ed ICC
library available, so we _can_ actually support ICC. And with Scarse -
Scanner CAlibration ReaSonably Easy - http://www.scarse.org/ - there
even a calibration tool under development.)

While most of the calibration stuff should be done in the frontend, I
think that the backends should be able to provide the ICC profiles. The
profiles are closely tied to a certain device, and, as Rene mentioned,
it is not very convenient to configure a number of workstations in a
network for the same scanner. And a backend could automatically select
the right profile, when for example a transparency adapter is switched
on or off. Film scanners might provide special profiles for different
film types.

I don't think that we need some additional functions in the Sane API for
this purpose -- it would probably be enough to define an additonal frame
type, or even only to add something like a "well known mime type" for
SANE_FRAME_MIME.

On the backend side, we would probably only need a little common library
which reads an ICC file, packages the file contents as specified by the
mime type and a function which can be called by sane_read to return the
ICC data to the frontend.

Abel