[sane-devel] Vuego 310S scanner help

Wed, 25 Dec 2002 11:11:17 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 25, 2002 at 08:47:32AM +0900, David Blomberg wrote:
> A friend has asked me to help locate a problem he has on his new
> Mandrake 9.0 system in which the system shows the scanner but XSANE does
> not see it.  in his own words:

Mandrake? Edit /etc/sane.d/dll.conf, and double check that there is a
line containing "snapscan" (NOT "SnapScan"!).

> "My scanner is a vuego 310s. I installed it under win95. it works well
> under win98se
> I installed an interface card in an isa-bus slot and hooked the scanner
> to the pc using an old fashioned scsi cable ... wide as distinct from
> the modern ones which do not have
> The Vuego is listed by Mandrake anderhardware > scanners
> as su I set up the scenner using this program and was told scanner
> installed use xsane to run it
> when I hit the xsane button I got the response xsane: no devices
> available

Now it depends on what this "program" does. Did it install the correct
driver for the SCSI controller? If yes, the driver should show up in
/proc/scsi and the device should show up in cat /proc/scsi/scsi.

> so I went to SANE on the web and looked at sane-snapscan.5 (it lists
> Vuego 310s) which I have printed out and am trying to understand
>
> eg DEVICE NAMES
>        This backend expects device namse of the form:
>               special"

Read on. It just means that you put something like this in the lines
of the config file:

/dev/sg0

But I don't think you need to modify snapscan.conf. That's most
probably not the problem.

> I had him run sane-find-scanner which you can find the listing for in
> "vuego.txt" and then being we are not sure which dev the scanner is
> under I had him give me a listing of the /dev and sub-dirs (happy.txt)
> If anyone has any help to offer please let me know as he really would
> like to get this fixed.

There was no attachement on this mail. You other mail had a binary
"winmail.dat" attachment, nothing like "vuego.txt" or "happy.txt".
If your mailer isn't capable of normal attachments, just provide the
text files inline (without attachment).

If /proc/scsi contains only the "scsi" file (and that one is empty),
that means that the SCSI driver was not loaded. Load the right driver
with modprobe.