[sane-devel] [Q] net scan (in)compatibility

Wed, 25 Dec 2002 11:57:21 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 25, 2002 at 09:42:21AM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> I am looking for information about version (in)compatibilities when
> scanning over the net.  I've searched the mailing archives, but did
> not find what I was looking for, so ...

The network part of the SANE standard defines the protocol version
(build version number), which is increased when an incompatible change
of the protocol is done.

> Basically, I would like to know whether there are known problems when
> scanning from a client using one version of sane when the scan server
> uses another version of sane(d).  In other words, how intercompatible
> are the net meta-backend and saned with respect to their version (and
> hosting OS)?

They should be compatible if they use the same major version
(currently 1) and the same net protocol version (currently 3).
The net backend can "speak" protocol version 2 and 3, so there
shouldn't be any incompatibilities in recent SANE versions.

Recent as in SANE package version 1.00 (11/1998) and newer. I think
even sane-0.6 (5/1997) should work (protocol version 2), but I haven't
tried.

The compatibility should not depend on the host os or platform but
there have been issues with the byte order of 16 bit scans which have
been fixed in SANE 1.0.8.