[sane-devel] Got 1.0.9 installed. Only runs as root...

Sat, 28 Dec 2002 23:35:43 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 28, 2002 at 08:07:09AM +0000, David Hostetler wrote:
> I then ran make distclean from the 1.0.8 directories, and then removed the
> 1.0.8 directories. Then I ran the full make distclean && ./configure && make
> && make install from the 1.0.9 directory. I then ran sane-find-scanner and
> found the scanner, which doesn't identify by name but does show up now.

It is only identified by name if the scanner itsself provides the
vendor and product strings.

> then ran xsane as root, and the scanner works, but I cannot use it as a
> regualr user. I cannot seem to find the scanner0 device anywhere, so I am not
> sure where to look to allow joe blow users access to the device. So my
> question after this long winded explaination is this. What and where do I
> have to change permissions to allow access to regular users to the scanner?

The sm3600 backend uses libusb so the permissions at that of the usbfs
(/proc/bus/usb). There is some explanation in man sane-usb, at least
in current versions of this file:

| The permissions for the device files used by libusb must be adjusted
| for user access. Otherwise only root can use SANE devices. For Linux,
| the devices are located in /proc/bus/usb/. There are directories named
| e.g. "001" (the bus name) containing files "001", "002" etc. (the
| device files). The right device files can be found out by running
| scanimage -L as root. Setting permissions with "chmod" is not
| permanent, how- ever. They will be resetted after reboot or replugging
| the scanner. It's also possible to mount the usbfs with the option
| "devmode=0666", e.g. by using the following line in /etc/fstab:
|
| none /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults,devmode=0666 0 0

> BTW my offer from the past stands. Code is out, but I will donate graphics
> work to this project. Just point me in the right direction and I am ready to
> go!

I haven't forgotten about it :-)