[sane-devel] Can't get sm3600 to work

Tyler Akins fidian@tiny.net
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 08:59:50 -0600

After trying for a *very* long day, I still can't get the sm3600 backend to
work as expected.  I've searched the web and I can't find anyone else that is
having any problems with their scanner.

Compiling is not a problem.  Downloading and installing packages is not a
problem either.

I can't get the scanner USB driver to recognize the scanner.  I'm betting
that it doesn't have two or three USB-endpoints (whatever that means), but I
can't find a better driver yet.  I guess this because I tried out ...
    insmod scanner vendor=0x5da product=0x40ca
    tail -f /var/log/messages
Feb 20 19:02:59 jasmine kernel: usb.c: registered new driver usbscanner
Feb 20 19:02:59 jasmine kernel: scanner.c: 0.4.6:USB Scanner Driver
Feb 20 19:03:10 jasmine kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2,
assigned device number 31
Feb 20 19:03:10 jasmine kernel: scanner.c: probe_scanner: User specified USB
scanner -- Vendor:Product - 5da:40ca
Feb 20 19:03:10 jasmine kernel: scanner.c: probe_scanner: Only two or three
endpoints supported.
Feb 20 19:03:10 jasmine kernel: usb.c: USB device 31 (vend/prod 0x5da/0x40ca)
is not claimed by any active driver.

Judging from one web site that I have found, this might be expected behavior,
but then why doesn't sane-find-scanners work?

I have been able to make the scanner move and make it look like it is
scanning with
    scanimage -d 3600 > test.pnm

But converting the pnm to jpeg produces this error
    pnmtojpeg: EOF / read error reading a one-byte sample

xsane finds no drivers to use.
sane-find-scanners doesn't list any scanners.

I'm running Linux 2.4.27, Debian (unstable/sid).  The xsane package was
installed, and the sane-backends (1.0.7) part was compiled.

Please, does anyone have any suggestions that I could try?