[sane-devel] Can't get sm3600 to work

Thu, 21 Feb 2002 18:50:30 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 08:59:50AM -0600, Tyler Akins wrote:
> After trying for a *very* long day, I still can't get the sm3600 backend to
> work as expected.  I've searched the web and I can't find anyone else that is
> having any problems with their scanner.
>
> Compiling is not a problem.  Downloading and installing packages is not a
> problem either.
>
> I can't get the scanner USB driver to recognize the scanner.

That's the problem :-) The backend doesn't use the kernel USB scanner
driver as far as i know, but it uses libusb.

> Judging from one web site that I have found, this might be expected behavior,
> but then why doesn't sane-find-scanners work?

sane-find-scanner only finds USB scanners if they are detected by the
Linux kernel driver. There is no libusb support (and I don't think
that it makes sense to add it).

> I have been able to make the scanner move and make it look like it is
> scanning with
>     scanimage -d 3600 > test.pnm

probably "-d sm3600". This looks fine.

> But converting the pnm to jpeg produces this error
>     pnmtojpeg: EOF / read error reading a one-byte sample

Can you view the image with gimp or any other viewer? How big is it?
Does it really look like a pnm file (try "less test.pnm", there should be
some readable lines at the beginning).

> xsane finds no drivers to use.

Two problems come to mind:
1) libusb only works as root AFAIK, so if you run xsane as user...
2) Maybe xsane finds an old SANE installation without sm3600 support?

> sane-find-scanners doesn't list any scanners.

That's ok in this case. That's one of the reason for the "some" in the
sane-find-scanner output: "some scanners that are connected to the
Universal Serial Bus".

> I'm running Linux 2.4.27

Cool :-)

>, Debian (unstable/sid).  The xsane package was
> installed, and the sane-backends (1.0.7) part was compiled.
>
> Please, does anyone have any suggestions that I could try?

Check if there is an older sane-backends installed from debian.
I don't remeber exactly, the name of the package maybe libsane or
similar.