[sane-devel] Sane is definately not Scanner Access Now Easy

Art Fore art_fore@3mts.com
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 08:16:32 -0800

Hi Henning

I did not mean to start a flame war going, but I was expressing an opinion.
I did mention also the manufacturers should get their act together as
without their support, the Linux community cannot so their job properly. I
do appreciate the help that I have gotten from the mail list. Rene Rebe I
think has done a fantastic job on the avision driver for the HP5300C, I
don't doubt that for a minute, but why does it have to have the avision
name? This conflicts with the normal avision driver. Either it should
replace the present, if it is compatible, or if it is different with the
patch, it should be called a different name and be selectable in the
dll.conf file. I believe Rene talked to HP over a year ago at Cebit and I
was recently on the HP website looking for a driver for this scanner for
linux. I did sent an email to them about support for this siting Rene's
comments, however, have not yet heard back from them.

I do think the programmers are doing a fantastic job on Linux applications,
etc., but I do think there needs to be more put into a "Newbie" installing
some of this stuff. The community needs input from someone "off the street"
not familiar with Linux in  order to improve Linux so that it can be used by
a normal mortal person. I have sent emails to HP, Nvidia, and SuSe
complaining about their support. The only way we can get them to listen is
to compain, and if enough people do it, it will finally sink in.

My goal is to eventually replace Microsoft on my computer and there is
another person that sits right across from me that would like for us to go
to Linux. I think we could do that on the server side easy as we are a small
company an only have 4 servers right now, but on the desktop, we would need
a Linux guru. At home, I only need one more program to replace Quicken
Online Banking which should be out very soon. I figure another year before
all of the bugs are worked out that I can safely move over to it.

As far as the documentation, in the sane faq, most places it calls out
find-scanner. I have never gotten find-scanner to work, however,
sane-find-scanner works, if you include the path. Have tried numerous
methods of getting the /usr/local/bin in the path environment on a permanent
basis, none have succeded yet. This is only one example. SuSE has some of
the best manuals I guess in the Linux world, but there are some errors in
them and some of the commands do not work as advertised, probably from
previus versions. There are some linux commands that do not work in SuSE I
guess they have removed them. Had some of the same problems with RH 7.2.
Hopefully the new Linux standard kernel that SuSE and many other have signed
up for will improve this situation.

The SuSE website had had little on it for the problems I have had. Search
for PATH turns up nothing, and most of the other searches, the info is way
outdated. I have found maybe 1% of the info I was looking for on their
website. The scanner is only a year old, but I had seen several places on
the internet where there was a driver for it. Just did not understand the
patch part of the the avision driver, that is, the driver from Rene Rebe's
site already has the patch in it. This is not very obvious from the
documentation that I had read. Why should I through away a 1 year old
scanner?

Nvidia was another problem. I never got a reliable system with RH 7.2, so I
went to Suse 7.3. Even though it had problems in Suse, it basically worked
out of the box. Eventually had to upgrade the kernel and XFree86, now that
part is reliable.

Got a Xircom PCMCIA modem/network card that was supposedly supported by
Linux by bypass the builtin winmodem. Suse would lockup on it. Suse support
took 3 weeks to get an answer back, but in the meantime, I fumbled around
and got it working. Still don't know how or why. Also had modem problems
with Suse on my desktop, same thing. Still have some dialup problems with
it.

When I upgraded to XFree86 4.2, it killed the sound. Had to install Alsa
again to get it working. Tried the blackbox windows manager, decided I did
not like it, removed it. Still have a problem when I use gui login to root
where the windows manager is twm I think and I can't get rid of it, even
though the configuration is setup for KDE. That is still not fixed.

So far, linux has been quite frustrating experience as far as getting it
installed and operating. When everything works, it is great, just getting it
to that point is a bear. What good is an operating system if you can't use
it for any real work but just to tinker with? I also did not want to go to
Linux simply because it is "free", I do not like the direction Microsoft is
headed to control the world with their monopolistic tenticles. But,
Microsoft has done some good as far as ease of use and ease of installation.
They are just carrying it way too far now. If it were not for Microsoft,
would there be any GUI desktops for Linux or Unix now? Probably not with
anywhere near the capabilities of todays system.

Art