[sane-devel] Re: Sane-devel digest, Vol 1 #193 - 8 msgs

Fri, 4 Jan 2002 18:26:01 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 12:48:13PM +1300, Rob Ward wrote:
> Hi. I have a HP 4470c scanjet that has both USB and parallel ports, and
> slide adapter. Can anyone tell me anything about (USB) drivers, or will
> I have to write my own? If the latter, can I be pointed to somewhere for
> beginners.

I don't know anything about this particular scanner. However, if you
want to write a new backend you need mostly two things: some sort of
documentation or protocol description and patience. Concerning
programming: Look at the SANE standard and one or two existing
backends for SANE details. Look at doc/backend-writing.txt for things
to avoid. For a USB scanner, you can use sanei:usb.h which uses the
kernel USB scanner driver.