[sane-devel] 1394 and epson 2450 scanner

Douglas Gilbert dgilbert@interlog.com
Sat, 05 Jan 2002 12:39:06 -0500

Dave W wrote:

> I believe that this morning I finally got ieee1394 working on my box.
> Now, finally, sane-find-scanner SEES something other than my cd-roms:
>
> amd1400:/dev# sane-find-scanner
> # Note that sane-find-scanner will find any scanner that is connected
> # to a SCSI bus and some scanners that are connected to the Universal
> # Serial Bus (USB) depending on your OS. It will even find scanners
> # that are not supported at all by SANE. It won't find a scanner that
> # is connected to a parallel or proprietary port.
>
> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI processor "EPSON GT-9700 1.03" at device
> /dev/scanner
> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI processor "EPSON GT-9700 1.03" at device
> /dev/sg2
>
> /dev/scanner and /dev/sg2 are softlinked.  The problem is that it seems to
> see SOMEthing there - a SCSI processor, if not a scanner - but scanimage
> sees nothing:
>
> amd1400:/dev# scanimage
> scanimage: no SANE devices found

Dave,
Some scanners (e.g. HP) use the the SCSI device type "processor"
rather than "scanner". That is not up problem in itself and
SANE definitely detects HP SCSI scanners.

> The rescan shell script shows:
>
> amd1400:/dev# /home/aftech/rescan-scsi-bus.sh
> Host adapter 0 (ide-scsi) found.
> Host adapter 1 (sbp2) found.
> Scanning for device 0 0 0 0 ...
> OLD: Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>       Vendor: PLEXTOR  Model: CD-R   PX-W8432T Rev: 1.07
>       Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Scanning for device 0 0 1 0 ...
> OLD: Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
>       Vendor: HITACHI  Model: DVD-ROM GD-2500  Rev: 0101
>       Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Scanning for device 1 0 0 0 ...
> OLD: Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>       Vendor: EPSON    Model: GT-9700          Rev: 1.03
>       Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 06
> 0 new device(s) found.
> 0 device(s) removed.

This looks fine. The epson scanner should be /dev/sg2 .
Could you show me what 'cat /proc/scsi/sg/*' looks like?

> And last but not least, when I try telling sane what I have (I may be
> doing this - and anything else - quite incorrectly!):
>
> amd1400:/dev# scanimage -d epson:/dev/sg2
> scanimage: open of device epson:/dev/sg2 failed: Invalid argument

This doesn't look good (an open on /dev/sg2 should fail).

I believe the epson SANE backend would need to know about
that model number to recognize it.

Doug Gilbert