[sane-devel] epson 2450 scanner and firewire: wrong SCSI ID

Douglas Gilbert dgilbert@interlog.com
Sat, 05 Jan 2002 18:23:48 -0500

Dave W wrote:

> This was accidentally posted to the linux1394-users' list.  Sorry for the
> accidental cross-posting, in case any of you on this list are on the other
> as well.
>
> Ed Hamrick, the Vuescan author, wrote to me and told me the
> problem is the Japanese ID of my Epson Perfection 2450 Photo as follows:
>
> "The problem you're having with SANE not recognizing
> the 2450 is that it's using the Japanese product naming
> (i.e. GT-XXXX) in the scsi inquiry string.  SANE doesn't
> recognize this type of inquiry string, although it would be
> trivial to add this.
>
> I added support for this some time ago in VueScan.  You
> can verify that the 2450 is working by downloading
> VueScan from:
>
>   http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html"
>
> I already had downloaded it but didn't think to try it.  It DOES work, so
> if the problem is that the GT-XXXX product naming string is wrong, where
> do we correct that?
>
> On Sat, 05 Jan 2002 12:39:06 -0500
> Douglas Gilbert <dgilbert@interlog.com> wrote:
>
> > Some scanners (e.g. HP) use the the SCSI device type "processor"
> > rather than "scanner". That is not up problem in itself and
> > SANE definitely detects HP SCSI scanners.
>
> Thank you!

Looks like the backend/epson.desc needs an extra entry for
the GT-9700 , for example:

:model "GT-9700"
:interface "SCSI"

Then you will need to rebuild the backend(s). See the SANE
documentation ...

> > This looks fine. The epson scanner should be /dev/sg2 .
> > Could you show me what 'cat /proc/scsi/sg/*' looks like?
>
> Certainly!
>
> amd1400:/dev# cat /proc/scsi/sg/*
> 0
> dev_max(currently)=8 max_active_device=3 (origin 1)
>  scsi_dma_free_sectors=192 sg_pool_secs_aval=320 def_reserved_size=32768
> 32768
> host    chan    id      lun     type    opens   qdepth  busy    online
> PLEXTOR         CD-R   PX-W8432T        1.07
> HITACHI         DVD-ROM GD-2500         0101
> EPSON           GT-9700                 1.03
> 0       0       0       0       5       0       5       0       1
> 0       0       1       0       5       0       5       0       1
> 1       0       0       0       3       0       1       0       1
> uid     busy    cpl     scatg   isa     emul
> SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
> IEEE-1394 SBP-2 protocol driver
> 0       0       5       256     0       1
> 0       0       1       255     0       1
> 30120   Version: 3.1.20 (20010814)
>
> Does this tell you anything?

Yes, everything is fine; scsi host1 is
"IEEE-1394 SBP-2 protocol driver" and /dev/sg2 is your
Epson GT-9700 "processor".

Doug Gilbert