[sane-devel] Another cross-post for sane-gphoto2

Fri, 11 Jan 2002 18:17:50 +0100

Hi,

Just some comments despite I just installed gphoto2 for the first time.

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 09:49:19PM +0000, jim.george@blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
> 	having now opened my eyes and read what was available on the net I have
> realised that I needed to upgrade to sane-1.0.6 to be able to include support for
> gphoto2.
>
> 	I am having several problems though and am not sure who could help, whether
> it's the sane team, gphoto2 team or both.
>
> 	When I first ran ./configure it complained of not being able to find
> /usr/local/lib/gphoto2 this was because the actual libraries were in a sub-directory
> called 2.0beta4dev6. I linked these to the /usr/local/lib/gphoto2 directory to get
> over that problem.

On my system, the libs were installed at /usr/local/lib/gphoto2*. If
they are in a subdirectory, run-time linking wouldn't work without
setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

> 	Then it complained about libjpeg libraries missing, this was because some
> of them were in /usr/lib so I linked these into /usr/local/lib.

The SANE jpeg test doen't look in any special directory. It just tries
to include the header and links against a function. If it doesn't find
libjpeg in /usr/local/lib, maybe /usr/local/lib is not mentioned in
/etc/ld.so.conf?

> 	Next was the includes for gphoto2...the '-I' directive was
> '-I$with_gphoto2/include/gphoto2' but $with_gphoto2 was empty.  So I hardcoded -I to
> be '-I/usr/local/include/gphoto2' to get over this.

Maybe in the source code "gphoto2/gphoto2.h" and not only "gphoto2.h"
must be included?

> 	Then it complained of a missing config.h file.  I copied one over from the
> gphoto2 source tree.

Don't know about that...

> 	It then complained that PACKAGE and VERSION had been redefined
>	whereupon it failed the gphoto2.h test.

Can you please post the interesting part of the log file?

Peter Fales <peter@fales.com> is the mainatiner of this backend.
Peter: Would it be reasonable to use gphoto2-config to determine the
LDFLAGS and CFLAGS like it's done for gtk-config in the sane-frontends
package?