[sane-devel] Acer 620S, not workkin

Max Ushakov ushakov@mccme.ru
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 18:59:17 +0300

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 11:16:33AM +0100, abel deuring wrote:

[...]

> > > Please also note that you may experience further problems if you're using the
> > > ACARD SCSI controller that ships with the 620s. Several people reported that
> > > they couldn't get their scanner to work with the ACARD card but had no
> > > problems once they used a different SCSI controller with better Linux support
> > > (e.g. NCR/Symbios).
> > >
> > > On the other hand, I also got one report from a Mandrake user that got his
> > > scanner to work with the ACARD controller and kernel 2.4.16.
> >
> > Uhh, the "famous" Acard. The is some info about this at
> > http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/docu.html#SCSI . I don't know if it's
> > still valid with newer kernels, however.
>
> If you mean the weird data length limit for the INQUIRY command: that is
> removed in newer kernels.
>
> Abel

Hi,

I am playing with Acer ScanWit (and VueScan) under 2.4.17 -- and
the ACARD doesn't seem to work properly. It is detected, as well
as the scanner, and VueScan sees the scanner, but if I press the
Preview button VueScan hangs. After that the kernel starts
complaining about "aborting command due to timeout", resetting
bus etc...

Trying the atp870u.c from the link above did not succeed: it
does not compile with new kernels :-(

I have seen similar reports on the Net -- it seems the problem
really exists even in newer kernels. Maybe this mail belongs to
linux-scsi, not here...

--Max Ushakov.