[sane-devel] Canon FS4000US film scanner

Hubert Figuiere hfiguiere@teaser.fr
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 10:53:05 +0100

According to R.O. Blättner <rolf.blaettner@nuernberg.netsurf.de>:
> Hi !
>
> I just ordered a Canon FS 4000 US film scanner.   :-)

Hmm...

> I couldn't find'em as supported on sane web page. :-(

Thank you Canon.

> Of course, I looked BEFORE ordering, but my considerations to buy
> a film scanner (with reasonable resolution and a fair price) are
> going on for 2 years now and I could'nt wait longer...
>
> It has both SCSI and USB interfaces, resolution is 4000x4000 ppi.
>
> Has anybody experiences with this scanner?
>
> How good/bad is the chance that this scanner would be supported
> by sane in (near) future ?

You may try the sane-canon backend, in SCSI. Anyway Canon is NEVER a good
choice when it comes to interoperating with non Windows system.
Let me quote http://www.buzzard.org.uk/jonathan/scanners-usb.html:
"Canon appear to be unwilling to release the necessary documentation to
enable a Linux driver and SANE backend to be written."

But VueScan seems to support it, both SCSI and USB.

> What could I do to help this scanner being supported ?

1/ provide FCC ID of the scanner to check wether it is OEM or not. FCC ID is
found on a label that usually carry serial # and other stuff. That will
allow to check against a possible compatibility with other scanners.

> Notion: I dont't have any HW for protocol sniffing, but I'm quite
> experienced in C, C++, *nix/Linux kernels.

You just need to sniff at software level....

> ... don't want to install Winblows again on one of my boxes since
> they are M$-free for a couple of years now ...   :-)

... but you require a working driver to do that. Luckily VueScan works with
it, but you'd better try with the Windoze driver. (sorry about that).

Hub