[sane-devel] C undefined operations in sane-backends-1.0.7-beta1

Tim Waugh twaugh@redhat.com
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 21:45:50 +0000

--WulRBKvtygI9tSt8

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 08:17:25PM +0100, Karsten Festag wrote:

> I read somewhere that ++bit would give faster code than bit =3D bit + 1.
> Now my question (as a non-expierienced programmer) is if
>=20
> ++bit;
> bit %=3D 8;
>=20
> is faster than your suggestion or do you think it makes no difference?

I think it can only be slower, since unless bit is a register then it
requires another memory store.

In general, write code for maintainability rather than speed; compiler
optimizations get better with time, and particular problem areas can
be found using profiling tools if need be.

Tim.
*/

--WulRBKvtygI9tSt8

--WulRBKvtygI9tSt8--