[sane-devel] Tamarack 6000C slooow scanning

Rene Rebe rene.rebe@gmx.net
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 18:38:03 +0100 (CET)

----Security_Multipart(Fri_Jan_25_18:38:03_2002_743)--

From: "Andrei B." <andrixnet@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [sane-devel] Tamarack 6000C slooow scanning
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 00:06:58 -0800 (PST)

>  Overall, there is a slight improvement of speed (at least for the
> preview), but still more the 3-4 times then under windows.
>  Looks like I'm stuck with M$Win for using this scanner.

The untuned Avision backend (again a copy of the Tamarack one when I
started to adapt it for Avision scanners in 1998 or so) was never (!!)
that slow! You might simply throw your scsi adapter into a
garbage-can!

I have an Adaptec Ultra-SCSI controler (AIC-7861) and a (lowend) NCR
Ultra-SCSI one. Giving me both the same good performance even when
plugged into a Pentium-I 120Mhz ...

The unmodifed Tamarack code had the same speed as the windows driver -
and some reported a speed improvement of the factor 5 (!!) when
scanning under Linux (ok - this might have been a Win~1 problem - not
a Linux feature ;-)). My tuning yield some 5 - 10% of extra
performance. (ok - my scanner is still much slower than the new Epson
USB onces :-((()

>  Thanks for the suggestions.
> =

> =