[sane-devel] Film holder control (and adf)

Jose Paulo Moitinho de Almeida moitinho@civil.ist.utl.pt
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 09:29:43 +0000

Hello,

If I understand correctly the summary is:

- use dev->sane.type = "film scanner";
- suggest to the frontends adding a button-type option "Query
scan-information from scanner";
- the options allow the backend to recognise what the scanner can do;
- prepare for sane2 a way to automatically inform the frontend that it should
reload its options;

Perhaps another suggestion for the future ....

- add a flag to each option which informs wether it may change. This is set
by the backend who (theoretically) knows the hardware. For the frontend it is
only necessary to query those options.

In my mind I have/had a distinction between hardware properties (eg the
resolution, which implies a range of options that will not change) and let me
call it "accessories" (eg an aps adaptor, which may change the number of
images when the cassette is changed or may even be removed without notice).

Just to further explain my idea those "accessories", when queried, would be
described by the backend using a description string, which could be read by
the user or parsed by the frontend.

I understand that this corresponds to a move from the normal sane way of
handling options and may be undesirable.

It is quite possible to work without making the distinction and, as I write
this down, I recognise that the border may be fuzzy at times.

Other that coolscan2 is there another project currently working with film
scanners? If there isn't I will follow its guidelines.

Regards

Ze Paulo