[sane-devel] AGFA SnapScan e20 (not in current device list)

Oliver Schwartz Oliver.Schwartz@gmx.de
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 21:53:55 +0100

Hi,

> *)When I do: scanimage -d snapscan:/dev/usb/scanner0
> the response is
> *
> [snapscan] sane_snapscan_init: configuration file not found, defaulting
> to /dev/scanner.
> [snapscan] add_device(/dev/scanner)
> [snapscan] add_device: Detected (kind of) a SCSI device
> [snapscan] add_device: error opening device /dev/scanner: Invalid argument
> [snapscan] sane_snapscan_init: failed to add device
> "/usr/local/lib/sane/libsane-snapscan.so.1"
> [snapscan] sane_snapscan_open (/dev/usb/scanner0, 0xbffff2e4)
> [snapscan] find_device
> [snapscan] sane_snapscan_open: device "/dev/usb/scanner0" not in current
> device
> list.
> scanimage: open of device snapscan:/dev/usb/scanner0 failed: Invalid
> argument
> [snapscan] sane_snapscan_exit/
> *
> It say that the device "/dev/usb/scanner0" is not in current device list
> ??????

It somehow doesn't find your configuration file (snapscan.conf) at the place
where it's looking for it (or maybe the permissions are not set correctly).
If you compiled sane yourself the configuration file should be placed in
/usr/local/etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf. Did you run "make install"?

There's another caveat: If the current directory contains a file named
snapscan.conf then this file is read instead of the one in /usr/local... make
sure you don't have an old copy of the file lying around.

> *)My snapscan.conf file looks like:
The configuration file looks o.k.

> */*)Is it mandatory to upload the firmware with /*agfafirm*/ if I use
> the last SANE version ???,

No, it's done automatically by the backend.

> *)Once, when I done: scanimage /*/dev/usb/scanner0*/ , the scanner has
> moved and a lot of strange characteres appered on the screen. It was not
> impossible to read the prompt after. I had to close the console !!!

scanimage will simply dump the image data to the console if you don't pipe it
to a file (e.g. scanimage>test.pnm). See the manpage.

> *)If /dev/usb/scanner0 is my device, what have to be the permission of
> scanimage, /dev/usb/scanner0, ...

On my system I have
-rwxr-xr-x    root     root       scanimage
crw-rw----    root     scanner    /dev/usb/scanner0

All users that are allowed to access the scanner are in the group "scanner".

Regards,

Oliver