[sane-devel] epson 2450 scanner and firewire: wrong SCSI ID

Dave W nospam_1 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 5 18:42:26 GMT 2002

This was accidentally posted to the linux1394-users' list.  Sorry for the
accidental cross-posting, in case any of you on this list are on the other
as well.

Ed Hamrick, the Vuescan author, wrote to me and told me the
problem is the Japanese ID of my Epson Perfection 2450 Photo as follows:

"The problem you're having with SANE not recognizing
the 2450 is that it's using the Japanese product naming
(i.e. GT-XXXX) in the scsi inquiry string.  SANE doesn't
recognize this type of inquiry string, although it would be
trivial to add this.

I added support for this some time ago in VueScan.  You
can verify that the 2450 is working by downloading
VueScan from:

  http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html"

I already had downloaded it but didn't think to try it.  It DOES work, so
if the problem is that the GT-XXXX product naming string is wrong, where
do we correct that?

On Sat, 05 Jan 2002 12:39:06 -0500
Douglas Gilbert <dgilbert at interlog.com> wrote:

> Some scanners (e.g. HP) use the the SCSI device type "processor"
> rather than "scanner". That is not up problem in itself and
> SANE definitely detects HP SCSI scanners.

Thank you!

> This looks fine. The epson scanner should be /dev/sg2 .
> Could you show me what 'cat /proc/scsi/sg/*' looks like?

Certainly!

amd1400:/dev# cat /proc/scsi/sg/*
0
dev_max(currently)=8 max_active_device=3 (origin 1)
 scsi_dma_free_sectors=192 sg_pool_secs_aval=320 def_reserved_size=32768
32768
host    chan    id      lun     type    opens   qdepth  busy    online
PLEXTOR         CD-R   PX-W8432T        1.07
HITACHI         DVD-ROM GD-2500         0101
EPSON           GT-9700                 1.03
0       0       0       0       5       0       5       0       1
0       0       1       0       5       0       5       0       1
1       0       0       0       3       0       1       0       1
uid     busy    cpl     scatg   isa     emul
SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
IEEE-1394 SBP-2 protocol driver
0       0       5       256     0       1
0       0       1       255     0       1
30120   Version: 3.1.20 (20010814)

Does this tell you anything?

Thanks --

dave williamson