[sane-devel] Can only access scanner(s) as root (long)

jim.george at blueyonder.co.uk jim.george at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jan 15 11:44:19 GMT 2002

Folks,

	please bear with me.

	I have just compiled sane-1.0.6-cvs with mustek_pp and gphoto2 support.

	I believe I have configured the system to support direct access, and
network access to these devices, indeed I can access the mustek and gphoto2
devices by specifying -d and the local device name, but only as root.

	Can someone tell me what I need to do to allow normal users to access
these devices?

	I am aware that with the gphoto2 device I need to access this as root
because the camera (a Canon PowerShot A10) runs off the usb and I don't have
hotplug installed/enabled.  But in sane-1.0.4 I was able to use the network and
direct access as a normal user.

	The problem is that during my many attempts to install this version
I ran make uninstall and lost all my configuration files (I know it tells you
to backup .conf files before running this, unfortunately it tells you on the last
line of the README file :(), so I don't know if the problem is with a
configuration file or with permissions on the parallel port.

	The other thing to point out is that this is the mustek_pp patched to
support CIS scanners.

TIA,

Jim