[sane-devel] iscan by itself, using printer as output device

Gene Heskett gene_heskett@iolinc.net
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 21:14:40 -0400

Just a quick note to the list.  I ran iscan by itself tonight and
saw the choice of printer, which was defaulted to run lpr.  And lpr
defaults to lp0 which is a 360dpi setting for my Epson Photo 820.

Forgetting that detail, I fired off a 720 dpi scan to the printer.
That took a while as thats over 100 megs of data.  When the scan
was done, the printer fired up and proceeded to spit out a page at
its 360 dpi rate, eg pretty fast.  But the first page was mostly
blank, looking as if there was a faint pattern of paper texture
under a magnifying glass, lint could be seen etc.

By now, everyone has figured out that the miss-match was gonna blow
it up, but it blew it up to 6 pages high by 5 pages wide, one
heckofaway to get a super enlargement in case anyone wants to paste
up some yard sale signs or whatever.

However, in my case, cups to the rescue by canceling the job on
about sheet 8.  I didn't really need a 30 page rendition of the
cups printer test sheet...

Once I'd fixed the link (the README is wrong) it also integrates
nicely with the gimp.  However, there appears to be no sizeing
controls in the preview window, a very handy thing xsane does have.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M