[sane-devel] Unable to access minor data

Gene Heskett gene_heskett@iolinc.net
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 22:47:10 -0400

On Tuesday 02 July 2002 19:11, James Leigh wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 11:05:05AM -0400, Karl Heinz Kremer wrote:
>> Try the following syntax:
>> scanimage -d epson:usb/dev/usbcanner0
>>
>> You have to tell Sane backend that the scanner at
>> /dev/usb/scanner0 is not a SCSI scanner (which is the default).
>>
>> Karl Heinz
>
>Thank you really.
>
>That works perfectly.
>scanimage -d epson:usb/dev/usbscanner0
>xscanimage epson:usb/dev/usbscanner0
>xsane epson:usb/dev/usbscanner0
>
>all works just as I wanted to. But without the command line
> arguement, they do not work. So I set an environment var
> $SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE With this env var, scanimage do work without
> arguement but other two still do not work in spite of the env
> var.
>
>How can I make the epson:usb/dev/usbscanner0 default setting?

Edit the /usr/local/sane.d/epson.conf to reflect the usb info
instead of the pt_par info, and mv plustek.conf to something else
to prevent needless confusion.

One thing I've found helpfull is to add the ident numbers to the
list of such numbers in the kernel sources at drivers/usb/scanner.h
and rebuild the kernel.  dmesg will then show the correct data on
the usb hub scan making everything else a bit more automatic.
This an also be done with suitable entries in modules.conf, but I do
things the hard way I guess just to keep in practice. :-)
--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M