[sane-devel] sane port number

Thu, 4 Jul 2002 09:10:47 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 11:24:53PM -0700, Andrei B. wrote:
>  saned is recommended to be configured on TCP port 6566, called via
> inetd.
>
>  I assume this is the port reserved for sane as a network service.

Yes, but as far as I know it's not officially assigned.

> Extract from http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

> #               6559-6579  Unassigned
>
> I have a small question :
> Will sane developers apply for an assigned port number for sane network
> service on port 6566 at IANA?

Some time ago I wanted to reserve that port. However, the online form
didn't provide a way to select (or at least propose) the port-number.
So I didn't actually send the form because I didn't want to get some
random number for SANE.

Has someone more experience with the IANA assignment process?
I'm also not sure what to insert in the input fields 2-6. The SANE
standard and its network part are rather long...
The application form is here:
http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/usr-port-number.pl