[sane-devel] umax_pp again

VOLTZ Stéphane stef-listes@wanadoo.fr
Mon, 08 Jul 2002 21:12:15 +0200

Steve Brenneis wrote:

> Well, I have tried just about every combination I can think of to get
> this thing to work and I still cannot. I hope somone has some
> suggestions so I don't have to go back to using the scanner on windoze.
>
> Here is a summary:
>
> With the port in ECP (ppdev module installed in the kernel):
>
> port 0x278 pauses for a second and then reports a bad read on the port.
> port 0x378 same as 0x278
> port 0x3c8 reports cannot connect to port
> /dev/parport0 reports cannot connect to port
>
> With the port in EPP (ppdev module installed);
>
> All ports report cannot connect to port.
>
> The old umax_pp driver used to work on 2.2 kernel but doesn't seem to
> work any more on 2.4 kernel.

    There had been changes regarding parport between these kernels, and
you'd better use a newer umax_pp backend
for 2.4.

> Help! Someone?

    What are the parport informations as shown by 'dmesg', for instance,
on my PC it is:
parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 7, dma 3
[PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,ECP,DMA]

    Also, if the parport support is built as a module, make sure that
you only pass the io arg, irq and dma should be set to auto. It is the
way it works the best. I use (in /etc/modules.conf):
options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=auto dma=auto

Regards,
    Stef