[sane-devel] EPSON FilmScan 200

Karl Heinz Kremer khk@khk.net
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 22:18:49 -0400

--T4sUOijqQbZv57TR

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 01:09:26AM +0200, Franz Bakan wrote:
> Hi,
> that's a question to the maintainer of the epson-backend.
>=20
> What's the status of the EPSON FilmScan 200 - support in the current sour=
ces?

It used to work at one time, but I don't have one of these scanners, and
therefore it's very likely that it is no longer working.

>=20
> I have a report from a user who wants to run this Film-Scanner on OS/2
> (But I think it's not an OS/2-specific problem)
>=20
>=20
> scanimage -L ends with:
>=20
> [epson] attach: sending INQUIRY
> [sanei_scsi] sanei_scsi_cmd: Reading srb.u.cmd.data_len=3D 36
> [epson] >EPSON   FilmScan 200    1.01<
> [epson] attach: device doesn't look like an Epson scanner
>=20
> because there is nothing like
>=20
> strncmp (buf + 16, "FilmScan 200", 12) =3D=3D 0
>=20
> around line 1830 in epson.c
>=20
> epson.desc
> says that there is a 'better backend' for FilmScan somewhere else, but I =
would
> interpret this that at least the basic functions should work.

As I said, it had some very basic support a long time ago. The filmscanner=
=20
is too different from flatbed scanners so that it does not make a lot of se=
nse
to support it in the standard EPSON backend. The scanner is also no longer
manufactured, my time is better spent on supporting current models.

>=20
> Is it enough to add this additional strncmp() ?

I don't know, if you want, you can give it a try, but I would suggest
you use the "other" backend:

>=20
> Or will I have to compile the files found at
> http://www.vjet.demon.co.uk/scanner/ ?

Yes, this is what you should do.=20

>=20
> BTW there is a typo in the last line of doc/epson.desc
> replace .cu. with .co.

Thanks, I'll fix this.

Karl Heinz

--=20