[sane-devel] HP-Backend asks for a Password (Probably a Bug)

Mon, 22 Jul 2002 18:00:00 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 05:26:02PM +0200, Konstantin Seiler wrote:
> I set up saned with IP-based authentification without passwords and almost
> everything works fine. But when doing
> scanimage --help

That's on the client machine? Does "scanimage --help" on the server
work?

> After (or while) displaying help-message the backend asks for an username and
> password. It looks like this:
>
> [...]
>     --source Normal|XPA [Normal]
>         Selects the scan source (such as a document-feeder).
> WARNING: backend requested plain-text password
> Authentification required for resource net:dominica:. Enter username:
> --lamp-off [
> Enter password:
> Speicherzugriffsfehler

My first guess is that this is not really a authetication request but
some sort of data destruction somewhere. One hint is the segfault.

Does the same happen with "scanimage -d hp --help"?

> The Scanner is a HP C2500A, the OS is Debian woody and I'm using Sane in the
> released version 1.0.8.

On both server and client?

To find out more about the problem, could you please send us the output
of

SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_WIRE=255 SANE_DEBUG_NET=255 scanimage --help

It may be worth a try to run saned on the server in debug mode:
Disable it in inetd (or xinetd) and start it like this:

SANE_DEBUG_HP=255 saned -d255

Please send the output when scanimage --help is called.