[sane-devel] scanimage fails to scan 16 bit gray image from epson 2450

Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:42:10 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 11:25:30PM +0100, rob wrote:
> Hi, this seems to fix it:)
> I can now open the tiff with gimp 1.3 and convert it to png with
> convert. Eye of Gnome failed on it but this is probably a bug in it as
> everything else worked.
>
> However the pnm format also fails. Nothing can open the file. Converting
> it to png fails but converting to jpeg works fine. (again xsane can
> create them properly).

scanimage creates raw (P5/P6) PNM files, XSane uses ASCII files
(P2/P3). So there may be a difference in what your viewers can display.
The PNM format with more than one byte per color is relatively new
(see manpage). E.g. "display" from ImageMagick can show these files.

Also there was a bug in scanimage concerning pnm on little endian
computers in 1.0.8 that is fixed in CVS. If you use such a machine,
plese tell us and try the CVS version.

As a summary: It works for me (at least with the test backend).