[sane-devel] scanimage fails to scan 16 bit gray image from epson 2450

25 Jul 2002 15:28:23 +0100

On Thu, 2002-07-25 at 09:42, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 11:25:30PM +0100, rob wrote:
> > Hi, this seems to fix it:)
> > I can now open the tiff with gimp 1.3 and convert it to png with
> > convert. Eye of Gnome failed on it but this is probably a bug in it as
> > everything else worked.
> >
> > However the pnm format also fails. Nothing can open the file. Converting
> > it to png fails but converting to jpeg works fine. (again xsane can
> > create them properly).
>
> scanimage creates raw (P5/P6) PNM files, XSane uses ASCII files
> (P2/P3). So there may be a difference in what your viewers can display.
> The PNM format with more than one byte per color is relatively new
> (see manpage). E.g. "display" from ImageMagick can show these files.

display can't display the pnm either.

> Also there was a bug in scanimage concerning pnm on little endian
> computers in 1.0.8 that is fixed in CVS. If you use such a machine,
> plese tell us and try the CVS version.

I am using a little endian machine so this might well be it but I'm
going away for a long weekend now so I wont be able to try CVS untill I
get back (probably wendesday).