[sane-devel] [NEWBIE] find-scanner OK, but scanimage NOT;

Florian Konnertz florian.konnertz@web.de
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 18:46:24 +0200

Hi sane people,
before I go insane, i decided to ask you to help me with your knowledge
and sanity ;)

I have an AGFA snapscan e20, slackware 8.1 (2.4.18).

Until some days before I've been running a usb mouse (logitech optical)
on that box. I use this (cool!) mouse now on my new box. First I tried
to get the scanner to work at the new box, but when I uploaded the
firmware the mouse hang.
So I decided to use the scanner with my old box to avoid this problem.
(Both boxes same slack-8.1)

Below is  the report of the steps I took.

Thanks in advance,
and have a nice day,

Florian

1. Modules: OK

modprobe scanner vendor=0x06bd product=0x2091

root@groovehunter:~# lsmod
scanner                 8512   0
input                   3136   0  [mousedev]
uhci                   23336   0  (unused)
usbcore                48000   0  [scanner uhci]

2. kernel

(connected:     scanner yes;     mouse no)

dmesg
usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
uhci.c: USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver v1.1
PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 00:04.2
PCI: Sharing IRQ 9 with 00:04.3
PCI: Sharing IRQ 9 with 00:09.0
uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd400, IRQ 9
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 00:04.3
PCI: Sharing IRQ 9 with 00:04.2
PCI: Sharing IRQ 9 with 00:09.0
uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd000, IRQ 9
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
usb.c: registered new driver usb_mouse
usbmouse.c: v1.6:USB HID Boot Protocol mouse driver
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2, assigned device number 2
input0: Logitech USB Mouse on usb1:2.0
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus2/2, assigned device number 2
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 4 ports detected
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 2
usb.c: registered new driver usbscanner
scanner.c: 0.4.6:USB Scanner Driver
usb.c: deregistering driver usb_mouse
scanner.c: open_scanner(0): Unable to access minor data
scanner.c: open_scanner(0): Unable to access minor data
scanner.c: open_scanner(0): Unable to access minor data
scanner.c: open_scanner(0): Unable to access minor data
scanner.c: open_scanner(0): Unable to access minor data
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2, assigned device number 3
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=3 (error=-110)
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2, assigned device number 4
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=4 (error=-110)

3. Firmware: OK

First try:
root@groovehunter:/usr/share/snapscan# ./snapscan
Can't open scanner device at /usr/share/snapscan/agfafirm line 139.

Then:
switched scanner off and on again:

root@groovehunter:/usr/share/snapscan# ./snapscan
Scanner Information (from scanner)
        Vendor:        AGFA
        Version:       0100
        Model:         SNAPSCAN
        Firmware date: Wed Dec  9 1998 14:37

Firmware Information (from file)
        Chip:          7107U
        Vendor:        AGFA
        Version:       0.62
        Model:         SNAPSCAN e20
        Firmware date: Tue Nov 14 2000 14:14
        Size:          30149

Uploading new firmware...
Done!
Scanner Information (from scanner)
        Vendor:
        Version:
        Model:
        Firmware date:

-> ok!

root@groovehunter:/usr/share/snapscan# scanimage -L

cat /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
snapscan

root@groovehunter:/dev/usb# ls -la scanner0
crw-rw----    1 root     root     180,  48 Mar 25  2001 scanner0

root@groovehunter:/proc/bus/usb# cat devices
cat: devices: No such file or directory

???  Should I see the device here?

root@groovehunter:/usr/bin# ./sane-find-scanner

sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (vendor = 0x06bd, product = 0x2091)
at device /dev/usb/scanner0

bash-2.05a$ xscanimage
[xscanimage] No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something
          different, check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and
          detected by sane-find-scanner (if appropriate). Please read
          the documentation which came with this software (README, FAQ,
          manpages).

bash-2.05a$ scanimage
scanimage: no SANE devices found

bash-2.05a$ scanimage -d snapscan:/dev/usb/scanner0
scanimage: open of device snapscan:/dev/usb/scanner0 failed: Invalid
argument

??? Where is the f.... scanner?

And again the kernel msg:

dmesg
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 2
usb.c: registered new driver usbscanner
scanner.c: 0.4.6:USB Scanner Driver
usb.c: deregistering driver usb_mouse
scanner.c: open_scanner(0): Unable to access minor data
scanner.c: open_scanner(0): Unable to access minor data
scanner.c: open_scanner(0): Unable to access minor data
scanner.c: open_scanner(0): Unable to access minor data
scanner.c: open_scanner(0): Unable to access minor data
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2, assigned device number 3
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=3 (error=-110)
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2, assigned device number 4
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=4 (error=-110)
scanner.c: open_scanner(0): Unable to access minor data
scanner.c: open_scanner(0): Unable to access minor data
scanner.c: open_scanner(0): Unable to access minor data
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2, assigned device number 5
scanner.c: probe_scanner: User specified USB scanner -- Vendor:Product -
6bd:209
1
scanner.c: read_scanner(0): funky result:-75. Consult
Documentation/usb/scanner.
txt.
scanner.c: open_scanner(1): Unable to access minor data
scanner.c: open_scanner(2): Unable to access minor data
scanner.c: open_scanner(3): Unable to access minor data
scanner.c: open_scanner(12): Unable to access minor data
scanner.c: open_scanner(13): Unable to access minor data
scanner.c: open_scanner(14): Unable to access minor data
scanner.c: open_scanner(15): Unable to access minor data
usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
scanner.c: write_scanner: NAK received.
scanner.c: open_scanner(1): Unable to access minor data
scanner.c: open_scanner(2): Unable to access minor data
scanner.c: open_scanner(3): Unable to access minor data
scanner.c: open_scanner(4): Unable to access minor data

Hhmmmmm.... ??

So, please give me a hint!
In the moment I cannot understand the principle how the whole thing
works (if it works :) I hope, this changes until tomorrow morning;)

I will write a docu and put it on my website, so your time is in good hands.

Thanks in advance,
and have a nice day,

Florian