[sane-devel] [NEWBIE] find-scanner OK, but scanimage NOT;

Oliver Schwartz Oliver.Schwartz@gmx.de
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 23:42:25 +0200

Hi,

> Until some days before I've been running a usb mouse (logitech optical)
> on that box. I use this (cool!) mouse now on my new box. First I tried
> to get the scanner to work at the new box, but when I uploaded the
> firmware the mouse hang.
> So I decided to use the scanner with my old box to avoid this problem.
> (Both boxes same slack-8.1)

I don't quite see which of your logs relate to a working scanner / working
mouse. Did you get your scanner to work at your old box?

Some general remarks: The e20 is reported to work. It seems that some people
experienced problems if other USB devices are connected. However, I have only
few error reports and don't see a common pattern yet.

SANE and the SnapScan backend don't access the USB bus directly, they use file
I/O which is redirected through a kernel module (scanner.o) to the USB bus.
If there are problems with interference of USB devices they are most likely
caused by the scanner module and / or the low level USB drivers. In this case
the USB mailing list (http://www.linux-usb.org/mailing.html) may be able to
provide additional assistance.

Some people seem to get different results if they use a different USB low
level driver. There are two different UHCI driver in the kernel, one named
uhci.o and one named usb-uhci.o (don't know about ohci and others at the
moment). The UHCI driver is used by most VIA and Intel chipsets. You may try
the alternative driver and see if that changes anything.

Some details:
>----
> modprobe scanner vendor=0x06bd product=0x2091
>
> root@groovehunter:~# lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
> scanner                 8512   0

looks o.k.
>----
>
> 2. kernel
>
> (connected:     scanner yes;     mouse no)
>
> dmesg
> usbmouse.c: v1.6:USB HID Boot Protocol mouse driver
> mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
> hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2, assigned device number 2
> input0: Logitech USB Mouse on usb1:2.0
^^
You get this with no mouse connected? Strange...

> scanner.c: open_scanner(0): Unable to access minor data

This message is caused by autoprobing non-existent devices. You can safely
ignore it.
>----
>
> 3. Firmware: OK
>
> First try:
> root@groovehunter:/usr/share/snapscan# ./snapscan
> Can't open scanner device at /usr/share/snapscan/agfafirm line 139.

> Then:
> switched scanner off and on again:
> Uploading new firmware...
> Done!
> Scanner Information (from scanner)
>         Vendor:
>         Version:
>         Model:
>         Firmware date:
>
> -> ok!

Doesn't look o.k. to me. I don't know for sure for the e20, but you should see
Vendor / Version information etc. I guess your scanner hangs again after this
point.

>----
>
> root@groovehunter:/usr/share/snapscan# scanimage -L
>
> No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
> check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
> sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
> which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
>

> cat /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
> snapscan
>
> root@groovehunter:/dev/usb# ls -la scanner0
> crw-rw----    1 root     root     180,  48 Mar 25  2001 scanner0
>

> root@groovehunter:/proc/bus/usb# cat devices
> cat: devices: No such file or directory
>
> ???  Should I see the device here?

If you enabled the USBDEVFS filesystem in your kernel (most distribution do by
default, don't know about Mandrake). It needs to be mounted as well, if your
distribution doesn't mount it by default (most do):
"mount none /proc/bus/usb -t usbdevfs"

> root@groovehunter:/usr/bin# ./sane-find-scanner
>
> sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (vendor = 0x06bd, product = 0x2091)
> at device /dev/usb/scanner0

So - now your scanner is suddenly found. What did you change in the meantime?

> bash-2.05a$ xscanimage
> [xscanimage] No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something
>           different, check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and
>           detected by sane-find-scanner (if appropriate). Please read
>           the documentation which came with this software (README, FAQ,
>           manpages).
>
> bash-2.05a$ scanimage
> scanimage: no SANE devices found
>
> bash-2.05a$ scanimage -d snapscan:/dev/usb/scanner0
> scanimage: open of device snapscan:/dev/usb/scanner0 failed: Invalid
> argument
>
> ??? Where is the f.... scanner?

What about snapscan.conf? Did you make the neccessary modifications (firmware
file entry)?

What happens if you unplug your mouse (go to a text console first, use
"scanimage -resolution 50 -x 10 -y 10 1>test.pnm" instead of xscanimage)

You may also contact me directly for further assistant (in german if you
like).

Regards,

Oliver