[sane-devel] New Backend newbie question

Bob Young polaris9@mochamail.com
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 18:22:26 -0500

On Sat, 02 Mar 2002 15:03:17 -0800
Erik Strack <erikstrack@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hello to all,
>    What does it normally take to get a sane backend integrated into the
> distribution?
>
>     I'd like to get the Viceo backend integrated in, written by Steven
> Ellis and K W Lee.

Erik, perhaps you can help me, and others, with the viceo backend.
I have a Visioneer 6100 USB scanner, which I have tried to get working
with sane 1.05 patched with the E3 driver, release 0.5 - and the 2.4.17
kernel patched with your own scanner.c/.h mods. It does not work; not for
me, not for another user (Mathew Alexander), and apparently not for Steven
Ellis either.  The following email was received from Steven on 02/02/02
quote------------------

Well it appears you both have the same problem. I don't understand why
this issue appeard with the 0.5 release. There doesn't appear to be any
chances from sane 1.0.4 to 1.0.5 that caused it. It must be something in
the 0.5 viceo release. My current copies of the 0.4 release are corrupt as
it the website copy. I'm going to take a look in my backups.

Hope to have a work around soon as I need to use my scanner as well :->

Steve

> [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of dll to 255.
> [dll] sane_init: SANE dll backend version 1.0.3 from sane-backends-1.0.5
> [dll] add_backend: adding backend viceo
> [dll] load: loading backend viceo
> [dll] load: dlopen()ing `/usr/lib/sane/libsane-viceo.so.1'
> [dll] load: dlopen() failed (/usr/lib/sane/libsane-viceo.so.1: undefined
> symbol: gRTargetWhite)
> scanimage: no SANE devices found
> [dll] sane_exit: exiting
> [dll] sane_exit: calling backend `viceo's exit function
> [dll] op_unsupported: call to unsupported backend operation
>
> Would you happen to know why this happens, or better yet how to fix it?
>
> Mathew

I get identical errors to those quoted from Mathew in the above message.
If you have a Visioneer scanner working with the viceo driver, I would
very much like to know how you did it, and if you are using the 0.5
release.  If you are still using 0.4, perhaps you have a copy of it which
you could share, as Steven seems to have lost his.   Any help would be
geatly appreciated. Bob Young