[sane-devel] New Backend newbie question

Sunil William Savkar savkar@inthespace.com
Sun, 3 Mar 2002 07:32:05 -0500

Erik--

As a lawyer, I am unsure there is an issue here with integrating the
Visioneer back-end, since if it indeed has been released to the public
with open ownership (i.e. no strict license rights and thus if anything
a broad license akin to ownership), then you could make some
modifications to it and as long as there is authorship acknowledgement,
your modified back-end can be included with the GPL.

IN essence the underlying code is public w/ a non-GPL license, but the
code + changes would be under GPL.  If someone wants non-GPL code at
that point, they would have to grab the originally released Visioneer
code.

The code w/ your modifications would have to be honored under the GPL.

Does this make sense?

Sunil