[sane-devel] How to find out if USB is available for compilation

Thu, 7 Mar 2002 23:10:11 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 08:12:00PM +0100, Oliver Rauch wrote:
> I do not know how compatible USB support on different systems is.
> It looks to me that it is not enough to update the operating system
> but we have to add new code in SANE to support USB on a new OS.
>
> If this is false then it is ok to compile USB support on systems
> that do not support USB in the moment. But if we have to add new
> code to SANE before USB is supported on this system then it would make
> more sense to disable the USB features is SANE.

This depends on how systems implement USB scanner support (if they
do). If they use some sort of driver that provides a device file which
allows both writing to and reading from bulk data, sanei_usb will just
do it. Control messages and vendor/product ids require
platform-dependant code.

It may be possible to support other ways of USB scanner access in
sanei_usb (e.g. access to generic USB files) but I haven't tried yet.