[sane-devel] Symplifying the setup ?

Sat, 9 Mar 2002 13:59:05 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 05:33:50AM -0500, Richard wrote:
> Ever since i got Linux every time i reinstalled ( mostly trying a
> diff distro ,greenhorn errors and 1 crashed disk ) i had to set up sane
> back from scratch.It has been each time trial and error.Forgot this and that.

Are you talking about compiling/installing or the setup of the backends?
Usually installation is just configure ; make ; make install.
Otherwise I think it's the job of distributions like RedHat to make it
easier for users.

> What im driving at is simple.Even though there are manuals at the site,
> man files etc. the whole process seems a bit out of reach for the average Joe.
> How about making an app running under X a bit like  printconf-gui ?

What does printconf-gui?

> Im no programmer cause i would already have done so.
> Seems to me like the  whole detection/backend selection and config file
> editing could all be left to a simple interface for less tech savvy users.
> I would probably profit from this one too ; )

For most backends no config-file editing is necessary. Just run the
frontend of your choice. There are some exceptions for backends that
may interfere with other backends or devices and therefore autoprobing
is not possible or disabled by default.

Which backend are you talking about? Maybe the configuration can be
made easier in this and similar backends?

I'm not sure if an application can help here because options are
different for each backend. But if someone writes such a program, we
can see...