[sane-devel] qcam: Avoid creating lock file in /tmp/

wls@astro.umd.edu wls@astro.umd.edu
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 11:48:32 -0500 (EST)

> Looks ok. Are you sure that /var/lock is available everywhere?

Solaris doesn't have it.

Aren't special privileges required to access the /var/lock directory?

	# ls -ld /var/lock
	drwxrwxr-x    6 root     tty          1024 Mar 27 04:02 /var/lock

setguid tty, at least, is required on this system (Mandrake 8.0).  I remember
when /var/lock was introduced (showing my age) to help uucp coordinate the use
of the modem lines with dialout programs like cu and tip.  I remember the
security issues and contortions with tip then because it had to then be setgid
uucp to handle the lock file.

Bill Sebok      Computer Software Manager, Univ. of Maryland, Astronomy
	Internet: wls@astro.umd.edu	URL: http://www.astro.umd.edu/~wls/