[sane-devel] backend writing question

Wed, 1 May 2002 16:53:58 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 08:29:34AM -0400, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:
> I am basically done with figuring out CanonScan 1220U interface and have
> thought to give a shot at writing a backend for it.
>
> I would like at first to keep it separate from the main tree (of course!)
> and would be quite glad if someone pointed me towards some working
> makefile for a out-of-backend tree project.

You can make your own SANE backend with only using sane/sane.h (and
saneopts.h). But why? You must duplicate all the work already done for
e.g. configuration, missing functions, reading configuration files (in
lib/ and sanei/).

Most people use the Main tree and just don't commit their changes to
CVS. They either put patches against CVS or sane-backends-1.0.7 on
their web sites or .tar.gz with all the necessary files (new backend,
Makefiles, documentation) that can be copied over an existing CVS tree.

If you just want to use the tree but put you backend in a different
directory like this:

sane-backends/
new_backend/

I copy backend/Makefile(.in) to new_backend, remove the other
backends, add your own one and change all the paths to point to the
appropriate directories in sane-backends. I'm not sure if it's worth
the work, however.