[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 1650 Photo & Suse 7.2

STEPHEN CONSTANTINOU stephanos@writeme.com
Mon, 13 May 2002 19:58:20 -0500

Dear All

I am a very experienced Windows user who is looking to go over to Linux and this is the third time that I have installed a version of Suse, each time learning a little and relapsing back to Windows.

My hope is that most of my hardware will work with Suse 7.2. At that stage I will then concentrate on applications and hopefully have less reasons to use Windows.

I am still very inexperienced.  So far I have managed to:
  install Suse 7.2 onto my second physical hard drive and I boot to it via a floppy
  install applications from the distro using Yast2
  install from a CD, because the instructions were included
  make an icon on the desktop to mount my LS120 drive

I have recently purchased this scanner as it is sure to work with Suse 7.2.  I had gone to:
http://www.buzzard.org.uk/jonathan/scanners-usb.html.  From here I went to the link for the download page for the Epson SANE backend (still not sure what a backend is).  I found the following:

" Update for SuSE 7.2 Users
I have created a Sane 1.0.6 RPM for SuSE 7.2. If you are using this system and need a newer version than the SuSE provided 1.0.4, please download this file and install it using this command:
   rpm -U sane-1.0.6-1.i386.rpm "

Having downloaded this file (sane-1.0.6-1.i386.rpm) I logged in as root,
created a new directory "/home/stephen/scanner",
copied "sane-1.0.6-1.i386.rpm" to this directory, started a terminal window and typed
   "rpm -U sane-1.0.6-1.i386.rpm"

I got a message "libgimp-1.2.so.0 is needed by sane-1.06-1" and there it stopped.
I went to yast2 and did a search of the Install Software module and could not find "libgimp-1.2.so.0".  The scanner was attached at the time.

I have little doubt that I have done the wrong thing and this will be because I do not understand what I am doing.

Any help would be appreciated

Stephen (Swansea, UK)
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup