[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 1650 Photo & Suse 7.2

Alexandre Suter sml@crox.net
Tue, 14 May 2002 13:59:31 -0100

Karl Heinz Kremer wrote:

>Alexandre Suter <sml@crox.net> said:
>[ ... ]
>
>>or else download the source code and install it after having removed all
>>rpms...
>>

>This may be not as easy as you think. Depending on which RPMs are installed
>on the SuSE 7.2 system, the compilation of both Sane and Xane may fail.
>The problem is that most software packages come in two RPM packages: One
>for the end user, and one for the developer. You will probably find stuff
>like glib, gtk or gimp installed on pretty much any system, but the
>related devel packages are usually not installed. This means that somebody
>without a long history of kernel-wrestling may run into problems that
>are very hard to debug.

damned, you are right. I forgot that I always select individual packages
by hand when I install a distribution, and that most people don't. well,
in that case you'll have to use Yast to install the packages in the
'development' section...

best regards,

Alexandre Suter

PS: as I subscribed to the list it's not necessary to send me a copy of
the messages you post on it :o)