[sane-devel] [Fwd: Sane-1.0.8 Compile Failure]

Wed, 29 May 2002 19:52:06 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 08:16:23PM +0400, Sergey Vlasov wrote:
> > > Compilation of sane-backends-1.0.8 fails with gcc-3.1 and
> > > produces the following error:

The platform/OS would be an interesting information. Also, if this is
a default install or any special options, CFLAGS or LDFLAGS were given.

> > > gcc -o .libs/scanimage scanimage.o stiff.o
> > > ../backend/.libs/libsane.so -lnsl -lm ../lib/liblib.a -Wl,--rpath
> > > -Wl,/usr/local/lib
> > > ../backend/.libs/libsane.so: undefined reference to `inb'
> > > ../backend/.libs/libsane.so: undefined reference to `outb'

Strange. libsane.so shouldn't use inb/outb at all. libsane.so ist just
libsane-dll.so.

Can you (I mean the original author) show the output of:

ls -l backend/.libs/libsane.so
nm backend/.libs/libsane.so

The full compile log leading to this error message and the output of
./configure.

> If this happens on Linux, that's because inb() and outb() are
> implemented in header files as inline functions, and are available only
> when compiling with -O or higher. Explicitly setting CFLAGS="-g -O2"
> should fix this.

I remember this one also. However:

* configure already sets CFLAGS="-g -O2" if gcc is found. At least
  with gcc-3.0, and Linux/x86.
* even if I set CFLAGS to "", I don't get this error.