[sane-devel] Problem with network scanning Linux/win98

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Sun May 5 22:04:54 BST 2002

Hi,

On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 04:11:25PM +0200, Edvard Rognlid wrote:
> >Which version of SANE do you use?
>
> 1.0.5-4

Since this version quite a lot of bugs have been fixed. If saned
really only works in "saned -d" mode for you, an update to at least
SANE 1.0.7 should fix this. However, I'm not yet convinced, that it's
a SANE problem in your case.

> >May  5 14:22:15 hmg1 saned[2170]: init: bad status=12 or procnum=1734763623
> >May  5 14:22:15 hmg1 saned[2170]: quit: exiting
>
> Yes, I got this lines, but I also got a line saying that is was an error
> i  /etc/hosts.allow. I have noe fixed that, and the error messages does not
> longer appear in /var/log/messages. Byt I stil dont get the scanner to work.

If you use tcpwrappers or xinetd uses libtcp then you must also set up
/etc/hosts.allow to allow remote access to saned. I don't use xinetd
so i can't tell you the exact facts here.

> I have tryed both localhost and barcelona at the same time and seperatly in
> net.conf. Always with the same result when trying [root at barcelona etc]#
> scanimage -L
> device `microtek:/dev/sge' is a Microtek ScanMaker E3 flatbed scanner
> device `microtek:/dev/sg4' is a Microtek ScanMaker E3 flatbed scanner

> I cant seam to find any log that has the name syslog, but i /var/log I find
> messages. This file apears to be a syslog file.
> When trying scanimage -L I get the line "barcelona modprobe: modprobe:
> Can't locate module char-major-81" in that log.

Nothing like the above mentioned lines about "saned"? Then saned isn't
running (or segfaults right after the start).

Try running

SANE_DEBUG_NET=255 scanimage -L

This should print some info about what the net backend is doing.

> >You can start saned in debugg mode. Disable it in xinetd.conf and
> >start it manually (saned -d5). It should print more verbose messages
> >now. In this mode you must restart it for every connection.
>
> Then it works!

"saned -d" ignores tcpwrappers and xinetd. So there are two
possibilities:

1) Configuration problem with xinetd and/or /etc/hosts.allow
2) Bug in saned, probably fixed in SANE 1.0.7.