[sane-devel] Scanning Lineart/Halftone with MICROTEK Scanmak

Karsten Festag karsten.festag at t-online.de
Thu May 23 22:09:13 BST 2002

Joachim Backes wrote:

> Hi, Karsten,
>
> On 16-May-2002 Karsten Festag wrote:
> >  Hi Joachim,
> >
> >  the function that finds the scanning area and calculates the
> >  dashed rectangle is included only in xsane if I'm not wrong.
> >  That's why in xscanimage you have to draw the scanning area
> >  by hand. I don't know the way xsane calculates the scanning
> >  area but it might be an issue of the contrast between the
> >  sheet of paper and the background of your scanner lid. Maybe
> >  a black paper as background does the trick?
>
> The cover of the scanner IS black!

Hmm, in this case the black paper probably won't help ;-)
Anyway, I think Oliver Rauch should make a statement if it
could be a xsane problem.
I think it isn't backend-related because the preview-image
seems to be correct.

> >  There were some reports of garbled xsane lineart scans
> >  earlier, perhaps Oliver Rauch knows something about this?
> >  I tested this with my scanner: If you scan into a file or
> >  for a fax or for photocopy then the pictures are o.k. as
> >  well as the preview. Only the viewer makes problems. Is this
> >  the same at you?
>
> Almost. Additionally, when scanning into the viewer, not only
> the viewer picture itself is blurred or shaked, but the file's
> contents too when saving the picture to some file.

Same as above - looks like an xsane issue only for the xsane
viewer mode. Oliver, do you agree?

Karsten