[sane-devel] Xsane preview rulers

Dave Close dclose at anim.dreamworks.com
Fri May 24 18:21:11 BST 2002

Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
>I wrote:
>> Xsane seems to have a problem with the rulers shown on the preview
>> window, particularly the Y axis.
>
>Is the scan size really > 100 cm? Hey, cool scanner :-) How did you
>"achieve" this effect? By moving the scan area in the preview window?
>Does it also happen with the test backend? If it's a problem of the
>big scan area, you can modify geometry_max in test.conf to test.

It's a moving paper type scanner. I've set an arbitrary limit of 100
/inches/ on the length of paper; I'm not sure the scanner imposes any
limit. But I see the same result with a completely different flatbed
scanner with a fixed image size. I did move the preview scan area with
my mouse to get the pictures I sent.

Oliver Rauch has responded that the rulers are correct after a preview
scan. That's not of much practical use in this case: I have a stack of
pages to scan with an automatic document feeder, and I'd like to get
an approximate area before starting. Using preview to get it right would
require reloading the first page. Also, the backend has no a-priori idea
of the actual document size; scanning 100 inches when the actual size
is maybe 22 inches is not a good idea.

It is our desire to contribute this backend to the SANE project once it
is mostly working. However, I'm not sure that will be of much benefit
since it uses a non-standard interface (not USB or SCSI) and we haven't
been given permission to contribute the device driver.
--
Dave Close                    Dreamworks SKG, Animation Technology
+1 818 695 6962               Glendale California 91201-3007