[sane-devel] HP 4C, (C1130A) Sane-1.0.9 OS/2 Assertion failed: info, file hp-scl.c, line 1317

Franz Bakan Franz Bakan" <fbakan@gmx.net
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 22:15:37 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 21:03:05 +0100, Peter Kirchgessner wrote:

Hi,

>I just compared your second error log with one from Linux. It looks like
>the assertion failed in the child process. But the check that failed
>there has been done before many times in the parent process. And there
>it works. Could it be that for OS/2 the child process does not get a
>copy of the parents memory ?

Yes that's possible. fork() is problematic on OS/2 and should be avoided.
Not all handles/objects are inherited to child-processes.
So it's saver here if the reader-process would not be fork()ed.

Perhaps the fork()ing of the reader-process could be
made optional by something like

#ifdef USE_FORK

If this is too much work, the second solution could be
to replace the the fork() approach by a os2-thread approach
like allready done for mustek or microtek2.

But first it has to be checked if fork() really is the cause of the problem,

>If you like, I can send you a patch to hp.c to get some more detailed
>debug print outs. But you need to recompile it on OS/2.

Yes I'm interested and can recompile it.

Regards,
Franz