[sane-devel] Scanner Basics

Jaeger, Gerhard gerhard@gjaeger.de
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 15:37:20 +0100

Small summary:

- USB is up'n working
- Module scanner is loaded

--> Great!

Now you need the SANE Plustek backend working!

Which version do we have:
type:
scanimage --version

We should have at least 1.0.8 for the EPSON, if not,
try and find a suitable SANE-RPM from RedHat...

Next step:
Find out where sane.d is loacted - the configuration directory:
use: locate sane.d
The fist line should be something like:
/etc/sane.d
or
/usr/local/etc/sane.d

In this directory check for dll.conf and make sure that
at least one line is inside:
plustek
Any leading # should be removed

Now the Plustek backend will be used by any SANE-using
programs (like xsane)

Now check the plustek.conf file, you can use at least the sample
entries, but change the device entry from:
device /dev/usbscanner
device /dev/usb/scanner0

Make also sure, that you are allowed to access this device:
ls -l /dev/usb/scanner0
should show up something like this:
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root     180,  48 Jan 19  2001 /dev/usb/scanner0

if not, change the access rights.

This all should lead to a working xsane...

Gerhard