[sane-devel] Scanner Basics

Karl F. Larsen k5di@zianet.com
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 14:44:49 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 16 Nov 2002, Jaeger, Gerhard wrote:

> Small summary:
>
> - USB is up'n working
> - Module scanner is loaded
>
> --> Great!
>
> Now you need the SANE Plustek backend working!

	All I have in /etc/sane.d/ is dll and plustek config files.

> Which version do we have:
> type:
> scanimage --version

	It's version 1.0.8

> We should have at least 1.0.8 for the EPSON, if not,
> try and find a suitable SANE-RPM from RedHat...
>
> Next step:
> Find out where sane.d is loacted - the configuration directory:
> use: locate sane.d
> The fist line should be something like:
> /etc/sane.d
> or
> /usr/local/etc/sane.d

	Red Hat is good about putting things in the right place. It's in
/etc/.

> In this directory check for dll.conf and make sure that
> at least one line is inside:
> plustek
> Any leading # should be removed

	There is plustek in this file.

> Now the Plustek backend will be used by any SANE-using
> programs (like xsane)

	Not yet it seems.

> Now check the plustek.conf file, you can use at least the sample
> entries, but change the device entry from:
> device /dev/usbscanner
> device /dev/usb/scanner0

	Here is /etc/plustek.config

# Plustek-SANE Backend configuration file
# For use with Plustek parallel-port scanners and
# LM9831/2/3 based USB scanners

[usb] 0x04b8 0x01f
device /dev/usb/scanner0

> Make also sure, that you are allowed to access this device:
> ls -l /dev/usb/scanner0
> should show up something like this:
> crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root     180,  48 Jan 19  2001 /dev/usb/scanner0
>
> if not, change the access rights.

	I did all of that and /dev/usb/scanner0 does have crw-rw-rw-

> This all should lead to a working xsane...

	It still does not work.