[sane-devel] HP4400c Scanjet

Sun, 17 Nov 2002 20:39:43 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 01:19:25PM -0600, Chris wrote:
> I'm determined, if possible, to get this scanner to work with linux.  Has
> anyone had any luck.

As far as I know it's not supported. Check the mailing list archives
to be sure.

> I have it connected to my usb port and running kde's
> usb viewer finds it.  I have the current version of SANE installed, 1.0.9,
> however running sane-find-scanner results in nothing.  Being a newbie still
> of sorts I'm kind of unsure what to try next.

See the chart about how to get USB scanners working. I just posted it.
However, you won't get it scanning, only sane-find-scanner may work.

> Vendor Id: 03f0
> Product Id: 0705

> 			Endpoint Address: 81
> 			Direction: in
> 			Attribute: 2
> 			Type: Bulk
> 			Max Packet Size: 64
> 			Interval:   0ms
>
> 			Endpoint Address: 02
> 			Direction: out
> 			Attribute: 2
> 			Type: Bulk
> 			Max Packet Size: 8
> 			Interval:   0ms

Two bulk endpoints. So it should work with the USB scanner driver. See
the above vendor and product ids?

To be sure, remove the scanner driver: rmmod scanner
Now load it again with the ids:
modprobe scanner vendor=0x03f0 product=0x0705

sane-find-scanner should now find your scanner, at least as root.

However, you'll still need a backend for the scanner. If there isn't
anybody else, how about writing it yourself? If I read the archives
correctly, it's a Umax scanner in reality.