[sane-devel] Compilation error on Compaq Tru64

Major A andras@users.sourceforge.net
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 01:17:36 +0000

Henning,

> On the other hand, they really have nice computers:
>
> AlphaServer ES45, 4@1GHz, Tru64
>
> time make -j4:
> real 0m48.473s
> user 0m39.115s
> sys  0m31.299s
>
> Slightly faster than yours :-) Well, I want to have one of those :-)
> Quite fast if you consiere, that it's used by quite a lot of users.

I'm sure I can't beat that today (although my next PC probably will --
in a few years' time).

I can't beat your 386 either, but here a pretty slow one:

iPAQ H3650, also from the HP TestDrive, 195MHz StrongARM-1110, 32MB
RAM. It configures like this:

  enabling DC210/DC240 backends
  disabling CANON_PP backend (failed to find required libieee1284 version)
  disabling HPSJ5S backend (failed to find required libieee1284 version)
  disabling GPHOTO2 backend (not requested, or failed to find
  gphoto2-config or JPEG lib)
  disabling PINT backend
  enabling QuickCam backend
  enabling Video4Linux backend
  enabling NET backend
  disabling SM3600 backend
  enabling SnapScan backend

in

  real    3m38.541s
  user    0m43.970s
  sys     0m41.420s

after which the actual build is

  real    42m50.703s
  user    32m47.140s
  sys     3m51.420s

It seems to build without errors. Sorry I couldn't test anything on
it, maybe we should ask HP to connect a USB scanner or so?

I originally wanted to give you a real killer slug but gave up on it:
a 40MHz SPARCstation 1+ from 1988 with 16MB RAM running diskless as a
SANE server (1.0.2 at the moment). The two problems I had compiling is
that current SANE doesn't like the linux 2.0.x header files still on
that machine, and that 16MB isn't enough for some of the backends (and
linux 2.0.x can't swap to NFS). It would have taken a really long time
though.

Oh, BTW, the HP iPAQ has its clock set to 1934 for some reason, sure
it's way ahead of its time.

  Andras

Major Andras
    e-mail: andras@users.sourceforge.net