[sane-devel] Xsane and Iscan

Karl F. Larsen k5di@zianet.com
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 13:53:53 -0700 (MST)

	I'm using Red Hat version 8 which has SANE and Xsane loaded from
the start. I decided to try and get my Epson Perfection 1250 scanner to
work in Linux. While reading all the data on the various web pages I
clicked on something on the Epson page and that got me to a page outside
the USA. There they talked about getting Epson scanners working in
Linux. They had a lot of stuff about loading the scanner module and some
other things, and then it had a place to download something.

	The thing asked for my Epsom scanner model and what version of
Linux and then I downloaded a RPM file. I installed the RPM and did the
stuff they asked for and Iscan never worked.

	Then somewhere I learned about sane-find-scanner and that my
scanner must use the plustek "back end", whatever that is. After a day
of fooling around and all of a sudden Xsane started working! But Iscan
still doesn't and I'm not at all sure why. Maybe Iscan needs a
epson.conf of some sort?